Saturday, August 7, 2010

Prayer, Praise and Promises 8/7

Author: Warren Wiersbe
Source: Prayer, Praise and Promises
Scripture Reference: Psalm 89:11-29

The Joyful Sound

Read Psalm 89:11-29

"Blessed are the people who know the joyful sound! They walk, O Lord, in the light of Your countenance. In Your name they rejoice all day long, and in Your righteousness they are exalted" (vv. 15,16). That describes how God's people ought to be.

We should walk in joy. Throughout the year the people of Israel heard joyful sounds. The trumpets would call them to a feast or remind them of the faithfulness and goodness of God. The psalmist is talking here about that festal blowing of the trumpet. Today we might hear a joyful sound--the sound of the trumpet, the voice of the archangel--and meet the Lord. God's people should be walking in joy. Every day should be a joyful experience of anticipation, excitement and enrichment.

We should walk in the light. "But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin" (I John 1:7). When you walk in the light, you see things as they really are. You don't stumble or cause someone else to stumble.

We should walk in faith. "In Your name they rejoice all day long" (v. 16). Why? His name can be trusted. Those who know God's name know victory and blessing.

We should walk in the heights. "In Your righteousness they are exalted" (v. 16). There's not only excitement and enrichment in our life with God, we are also exalted, lifted high. This doesn't mean that we are glorified instead of God. It means that He lifts us up.

Keep your ears tuned. You might hear that joyful sound today.

* * *

Do others know you are a Christian by your life? If you walk with joy and in the light, you will bless others and glorify God. Do you find your walk with God enriching? Enjoy Him to the fullest. Let Him exalt you.


Psalm 89:11-29 (New International Version)

11 The heavens are yours, and yours also the earth;
you founded the world and all that is in it.

12 You created the north and the south;
Tabor and Hermon sing for joy at your name.

13 Your arm is endued with power;
your hand is strong, your right hand exalted.

14 Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne;
love and faithfulness go before you.

15 Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you,
who walk in the light of your presence, O LORD.

16 They rejoice in your name all day long;
they exult in your righteousness.

17 For you are their glory and strength,
and by your favor you exalt our horn. [a]

18 Indeed, our shield [b] belongs to the LORD,
our king to the Holy One of Israel.

19 Once you spoke in a vision,
to your faithful people you said:
"I have bestowed strength on a warrior;
I have exalted a young man from among the people.

20 I have found David my servant;
with my sacred oil I have anointed him.

21 My hand will sustain him;
surely my arm will strengthen him.

22 No enemy will subject him to tribute;
no wicked man will oppress him.

23 I will crush his foes before him
and strike down his adversaries.

24 My faithful love will be with him,
and through my name his horn [c] will be exalted.

25 I will set his hand over the sea,
his right hand over the rivers.

26 He will call out to me, 'You are my Father,
my God, the Rock my Savior.'

27 I will also appoint him my firstborn,
the most exalted of the kings of the earth.
28 I will maintain my love to him forever,
and my covenant with him will never fail.

29 I will establish his line forever,
his throne as long as the heavens endure.
Footnotes:

1. Psalm 89:17 Horn here symbolizes strong one.
2. Psalm 89:18 Or sovereign
3. Psalm 89:24 Horn here symbolizes strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment